A perspective from Perth, Western Australia

Monday, March 10, 2003

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing! Nothing! Nothing... at all.

I went and saw "I am trying to break your heart", the movie about the band Wilco and more to the point the making of, and subsequent politics and being messed around surrounding the album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot". It was really good. I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in music at the cutting edge - Wilco are basically a fairly ordinary bunch of guys who make music which means something. I had the chance to see them at Big Day Out 03, and they were definitely a highlight. Those who were also there (or have seen Wilco live anywhere) will understand the subject line. It has an added meaning after the movie.

Previous day I was at the CARAD dinner to support post-detention refugees. While I think I was one of the few people under 30 present, it was worth it for the excellent food prepared in traditional style by the refugees, and also for the opportunity to meet Ali, aged 20, a very well-spoken and intelligent Afghan refugee (who apparently couldn't speak a word of English 3 years ago!) who represents both the pain of the refugees and their experiences in Australia, and the hope which many of these people can be provided with by those of us in Australia who support their cause.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home